Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle is Germany’s first castle complex the fortifying character of which faded into the background in favor of becoming a representative place of residence. Being Germany's oldest castle, Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle was a trendsetter in its time. Its overwhelming architectural solutions in the late-Gothic style have already been marveled at by contemporaries.
After, in 929, King Henry I had had a wooden fortress built on a rock towering above the Elbe, Meissen became the center of the march of the same name bordering on the eastern territories still under Slavic control. The margrave ruled over the entire Margraviate of Meissen and resided in the previous building of Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle which was to go down in history as »the cradle of Saxony«.
- Full rate 8,00 EUR
- Reduced rate 4,00 EUR
Ticket rates for the permanent exhibition
- Full rate: EUR 8.00
- Reduced rate: EUR 4.00
- 2 adults and up to 4 children: EUR 18.00
- 1 adult and up to 2 children: EUR 10.00
- Group rate (15 people and more): EUR 6.50 per person
- Group rate for pupils (10 people and more): EUR 3.00 per person
- Annual ticket: EUR 16.00
- Reduced annual ticket: EUR 8.00
- Annual ticket for families: EUR 36.00
Audio guide (German, English, Czech, French, Italian, Polish, Russian; children's audio guide in German) included. Written guide for deaf people available.
Combined ticket: Meissen Albechtsburg Castle and Meissen Porcelain Manufactory
- Full rate: EUR 14.00
- Reduced rate: EUR 7.00
- Family rate*: EUR 30.00
Combined ticket: Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle and Meissen Cathedral
- Full rate: EUR 10.00
- Reduced rate: EUR 5.50
- Family rate*: EUR 25.00
The combined ticket is valid three days in a row.
- 1 h: EUR 3.00
- 1.5 h: EUR 4.50
- Children aged 5 or younger
- People visiting the castle on their birthday
- Accompanying adults of severly disabled people (entry »B« iin the disability pass)
- Tour guides
- Tour bus drivers accompanying a tour group
- 1 accompanying adult per 10 pupils
- Journalists for reporting purposes (valid identification required)
- Holders of the schloesserlandPASS
- EUR 2.00
Subject to modifications.
Benefits with the schloesserlandPASS
Free admission to the permanent exhibition
Reduced rates apply to enter special exhibition
Arrival & map
Next City: Dresden (27 km)
- via A4, exit Siebenlehn and further along B101, or exit Wilsdruff
- via A13, exit Radeburg
- via A14, exit Nossen-Ost
- via B6 from Dresden
The Elbe cycling path passes right at the foot of the castle hill, Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle/ Cathedral is signposted.
By plane (Dresden International Airport)
- via Boxdorf - Reichenberg - Moritzburg - Auer - Weinboehla - Meissen (about 30 km/ 18,5 mi)
Meissen sightseeing tour
From April to October, there is a bus running every 30 minutes between the stops Albrechtsburg Meissen/Dom, Markt and Porzellan-Manufaktur. The modern buses offer 13 seats and space for one wheelchair. Regardless of whether you choose a large or a small sightseeing tour, you will hear a lot of interesting information about the history of Meissen.
Further information: City-Bus Meissen and Oberelbe Tours
Saxon Steamship Company
The Saxon Steamship Company (Sächsische Dampfschifffahrt) offers tours to Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle.
There are parking facilities near the Elbe River at Leipziger Strasse (direct access to the castle via Schlossparkstufen), at Meisastrasse at the foot of the castle hill and in the parking garage next to the castle hill elevator.
Easy way up
A panoramic elevator makes it easy to ascend the castle hill.
March to October
- daily: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
November to February
- daily: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Dec 24/25: closed
- Jan 1: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Subject to modifications.