»2nd International Porcelain Biennial«
- 12.08.2018 to 04.11.2018
10:00 - 18:00
- Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle Show on map
- Suitable for children:
- Yes, without age restriction
An exhibition at Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle in cooperation with the Registered Association to Promote Contemporary Porcelain Art, Meissen Porcelain.
A truly royal material, that has fascinated and inspired all Europe for more than three hundred years. Allow to be enchanted and discover the possibilities porcelain opens up to the creative mind. Renowned national and international artists present their modern and contemporary creations and show that porcelain is more than just the coffee cup with a gold rim.
Masterly crafted pieces of the worldwide best and most experienced porcelain designers abduct us to a fragile world of light, passion and white gold. Marvel at the extremely thin shapes and membranes that seductively play in sunlight, explore the figures and sculptures that create seemingly impossible worlds and rediscover the royal material of porcelain at the International Porcelain Biennial.
Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle – in its time itself a place of innovative architectural art – has ever since been a trendsetter. When, after the invention of European porcelain, the first European porcelain manufactory was set up there, the most progressive and sought-after décors and shapes were created. The International Porcelain Biennial continues this tradition and presents contemporary trends in international porcelain design at the authentic location.
Arrival & map
Next City: Dresden (27 km)
Nearest city: Dresden (27 km)
Information on how to get there:
- Highway A4 Exit Siebenlehn, continue along Federal Road B101, or Exit Wilsdruff;
- Highway A13: Exit Radeburg
- Highway A14: Exit Nossen-Ost;
- Coming from Dresden, use Federal Road B6
The Elbe River cycle path passes directly at the foot of the castle hill from where the Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle and the Cathedral are signposted.
- Towards Boxdorf – Reichenberg – Moritzburg – Auer – Weinböhla – Meißen. Dresden Airport is about 30 km from Meißen
Sightseeing tour through Meißen:
- Between April and October, a bus runs every 30 minutes serving the stops at Albrechtsburg Castle/Cathedral, the Market Square and the Porcelain Manufactory. The modern buses can seat 13 passengers, including a space for a wheelchair. You can opt for the small or the grand tour and learn something about the history of the town.
- More information at: City-Bus Meißen of Oberelbe Tours
- Sächsische Dampfschifffahrt (The Saxon Elbe River Steamboat Operator) offers round trips to the Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle.
- Cars can be parked by the Elbe River, with direct access to the castle via the castle stairs from Leipziger Straße and also from the foot of the castle hill in Meisastraße, where there is also a multi-level carpark and an elevator up to the castle.
- An elevator with a panoramic view eases the ascent to the castle.
Meissen Albrechtsburg Castle
Domplatz 1 | 01662 Meißen
+49 (0) 3521 4707-0